Tuesday, July 21, 2009

the beginning of the end

The way you define yourself as a writer is that
you write every time you have a free minute.
If you didn't behave that way you would never do anything.

John Irving, US novelist (1942 - present)


It was fourth-grade English class. Our homework was to write a poem about anything, and with much amusement, I started writing my very first piece of poetry.

I don’t have the poem now, which is unfortunate, but if I remember right, I think the poem was about birds and trees and friendship, or something. I remember it had rhymes in it, and I remember deciding then that the only thing that can rhyme with love is above. Unless, of course, I manage to factor in a dove into the next line.

Anyway, like most (productive) things nine-year olds do, it was praised by my teacher. Not really sure if it was more for the effort or if my English teacher really found anything spectacular in it, but like any nine-year old kid who had been praised in class, I decided this was something I must be good at, and therefore must do a lot.

(I guess I should also mention that back then, I part-timed as poster girl for child psychology-based teaching methods.)

Fourteen years later, here I am; leading a double – no, quadruple – life as a Band-Aide to a rising indie funk-rock band, an all-around Creative Entity in an events and advertising agency, a not-so-very-likely (enterprise-less) entrepreneur, and most importantly, a MFA Student struggling to become a Writer.

There’s a full-blown essay on the raison d’ĂȘtre behind my jumping into very costly grad school; but I think for the purpose of this introduction, it would be enough to say that while I believe writing is something that I need to do for the rest of my life, I am still, at the very core, a creature of utmost indolence and therefore need something to push me into writing, writing and writing some more.

And as if weekly writing exercises and reading assignments for class aren’t enough to get me into the habit, I present to you my newest time-squeezing torture device.

This blog.

I’m betting that the content is going to be mostly drabblish, but hopefully, once in a blue moon, I’d get to write some real insightful pieces about writing, being a writer (or trying to be) and all other what-nots related to it.

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that the Gods of Laziness give this one to me.

If not forever, at least for as long as I can finally laugh in the face of writer’s block and the big ol’ P word.

Wish me luck!

No comments: